Tuesday 20 January 2015

Yum Yum Red Plum

I like jam. A lot.

Fortunately I have a plum tree at the shack which produces an abundance of watery, good for nothing plums which don't taste very nice...until I add sugar and make them into jam! It's astonishing how good this jam is. I think I like it because it's not overly sweet. Anyhoo, long story short, it tastes great!

Recipe:

Put any amount of plums (yes, pips and all) into a large pot and stew them until they are very soft. Then push them through a sieve to remove pips and skins.

Once you have done this, weigh the remaining pulp/liquid. Transfer the pulp/liquid back into the pot and add the same weight of sugar and bring it all to the boil (I like my jam a little less sweet so I add about three quarters of the weight in sugar). Stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved otherwise the sugar might burn.

Add a few tablespoons of lemon juice. Simmer for approx 20 minutes until the jam has set.

Pour whilst hot into sterilised jars.

I still have sooooooooo many plums so I am going to give plum cordial a crack using a recipe I found online by Sally Wise (one of my food idles). I'll let you know how it goes.

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment