Friday 18 April 2014

Its A Dark Day Laundry Makeover

Recently we have renovated the whole upstairs of our "retro house".  We have a downstairs too which we haven't yet done anything to. It currently consists of a rumpus room, a laundry and a workshop. It's an awkward space that is made up of lots of different levels and ceiling heights. Roge and I have decided not to rush into doing a major renovation of downstairs, so for now I'm simply neatening it up. 

I've started with the laundry which was pretty gross and keeping in mind that in the not too distant future, we will embark on a major reno, I've decided to give the laundry a makeover that I probably wouldn't do if the room was already renovated as it's a bit out of my decorating comfort level.

I've painted it black.

Black seems to be a very fashionable colour in the decorating world at the moment and whilst I like it, I'm not sure I'd usually give it a go. 

The laundry pre makeover
And what is looks like after


The DIY light extension was from Bunnings Hardware and cost $15. Much nicer than the old glass light fitting. The cupboards have been painted Dulux Domino in low sheen (approx $80 for 4l), the cupboard handles have been replaced with wooden ones (Ebay $12 for 4) and the laundry trough has been clad with a piece of ply board ($8.50)





Roge also added some new shelves in the cupboards so I could arrange everything that I needed to squish in. The cat sleeps at the bottom, dog food, nappy buckets, dust pans, a box of bits n bobs and my mushroom growing kit all on the other shelves. It's nice to have everything neatly housed behind a door rather than strewn all over the floor. Much tidier!


I still don't know that I'd paint a newly renovated room black but I do like the end result of my short term makeover. The black does make the room seem smaller but it was a good size to start with and it's very sunny through the day.

So what do you think, would you paint a room black at your house? At least paint is inexpensive and cheap to replace when the colour looses it's lustre with you. It can certainly make a big impact especially when the colour is far removed from what was there before (as I've demonstrated!)


It was a simple make over which cost less than $150 for paint, a piece of ply board, a DIY light and some new wooden handles for the cupboards. The rest of the stuff I had already had hanging around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment