Friday 24 May 2013

A Heart Attack in a Bowl

Tick tock, the time is flying and now it's only 11 more sleeps until this new baby of mine is due. Sadly due to the impending arrival, I have done nothing of consequence to show you. My life has been all about doing the last minute few things: haircut, pedicure, waxing, cleaning the fridge, wiping out the pantry, organising under the bathroom sink...see, nothing interesting at all!

I can tell you however that I have been eating like I'm chowing down for 10! Mainly comfort food like chocolate self saucing pudding, apple crumbles and another old time favourite...Golden Syrup Dumplings!

Mmmmm, I hear you say. Yes they are an old school food that your Nanna probably made but for something a bit decadent, we always turn to them. This is the recipe I use:

Dumplings:


1 1/2 Cups SR flour
50g Butter (at room temp)
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla Essence

Syrup:


2 Cups Water
1/3 Cup Golden Syrup
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
30g Butter

1 - In a saucepan on the stove, make the syrup.
2 - In a bowl, place sifted flour and butter. Mix the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the consistency of breadcrumbs.
3 - Add egg, milk and vanilla (the vanilla makes these dumplings so don't miss it out). You will end up with a sticky dough.
4 - Divide the dough into as many dumplings as you want and place into your syrup. Bring syrup to boil and then turn it down to a simmer and place the lid on the pot. Leave to cook for 20 minutes.


5 - Serve with cream or ice cream.


This makes a enough for 3 - 4 people but Roge and I always eat it between ourselves (not good for the reflux on my behalf but I still put them away!) No wonder my pregnancy bottom is nearly 20kg heavier than usual. Oh well, I have plenty of time to worry about that later in the year, for now, it's all about what desert I'm having later...maybe pineapple pie or cheesecake. Oh the choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment