Monday 11 February 2013

Pumpkin Scones - a pursuit for the perfect scone

I'm having a particularly un-interesting week this week. That said, I've done plenty, just nothing interesting enough to blog about!

However I am in the pursuit of the perfect scone and found a recipe that was totally yummy and worth sharing. Relatively easy and cheap to put together, I thought it might be a nice change to our afternoon teas around here to have scones instead of muffins (a staple food found in our cake tin).

My first attempt at making scones wasn't a total disaster. They tasted awesome but didn't look all that pretty, that's something to work on I guess. So first cab off the rank was Pumpkin Scones. I had purchased a whole pumpkin from the local veggie shop and since Ewan is off veggies (that's a story for another day but need I say more than the "lead up to terrible twos") I needed to find other uses for it. 


Recipe was found online (where else!) and is as follows:

2 1/2 Cups SR flour
1 Cup cooked and mashed pumpkin
50g Butter
1 Tbs White sugar
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 Cup Tasty cheese
1/4 - 1/2 Cup Milk (I used the whole 1/2 cup but it was far too much so I'd start at 1/4 cup and add small amounts if needed)

1 - Using your fingertips, rub butter into the flour mix until it resembles breadcrumbs
2 - Mix in pumpkin, sugar and cheeses
3 - Slowly add the milk. The mix should be moist and firm, not sloppy.
4 - Turn dough onto a floured surface and kneed (but not too much, you don't want the little scones to turn out hard as rocks)
5 - Roll out dough to 2 cm thick and cut into circles. I used a floured glass to use as my cutter.
6 - Cook at 200 - 240 degrees celsius (depending on your oven. Rule of thumb, a fan forced oven would only be 200 degrees and hotter for a non fan forced) for 15-20 minutes (golden on top and cooked in the middle. You may need to break one open to check)

I find scones are best eaten warm but these were still as good the next day with a bit of butter on them. For my first attempt at scones, I'm pretty happy (my mum's a pro, I have a lot to live up to!) Next, I'm going to make good old traditional scones...I'll share the results when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment