Sunday 7 October 2012

Pea, Haloumi & Mint Pasta

Do you ever have those meals which you discover and then can't stop eating? Well I'm going through that with this latest recipe. I found it in the October 2012 edition of Australian Real Living magazine, tweaked it a little for my taste and now I make it all the time! I think I love it because it's fresh and a good meal for spring/summer.


Firstly you need these ingredients:

350g Penne Pasta
3 Cups of peas (frozen or fresh)
4 spring onions
1-2 tbs lemon juice
1/3 cup light Philadelphia Cream Cheese
A handful of Mint Leaves
1/2 grated parmesan
Sea salt and black pepper
250g Haloumi Cheese cut into bite sized pieces


Alternatives to Haloumi are Choritzo sausage, Ham or Bacon (I have use all and they go just as well)

1 - Boil some water and get your pasta on the go.
2 - Boil or steam your peas in another pot (or you could use the microwave) but don't over cook them, you only want them "just soft" and still with a bit of "pop".


3 - In the meantime, cut your spring onions and put into a blender along with the Philli cheese, grated parmesan, most of the mint leaves, salt, pepper, lemon juice and once the peas are cooked, put 2 cups plus a small amount of the pea water in and blend until smooth.


4 - Place haloumi in a dry (no extra oil) frypan and cook each side until golden (approx 3-5 minutes each side) Chop into bite sized pieces.


5 - Drain pasta, add to blended pea mix, add haloumi cheese and add final 1 cup of whole peas. Stir through and garnish with a little extra parmesan and chopped mint.


So fresh tasting and surprisingly the mint goes awesome with the peas. If you're gluten, diary intolerant or vegan you could also make this meal by using GF pasta, Tofu cream cheese, fried tofu/cherry tomatos instead of haloumi and replace the parmesan with harissa spice or similar.

So guess what I'm making for lunch again today....yep you guessed it! Enjoy your weekend all.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm that looks good! I don't think I've seen haloumi around anywhere (all these Toronto neighbourhoods are divided up ethnically: we live in a Ukrainian/Polish area so that tends to influence what's available).

    I posted a recipe today, too!

    (p.s. I don't s'pose you'd be up to turning off the word verification thing? It's so annoying and I'm so bad at deciphering it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm the worst blogger ever I swear. I've got no idea what the "word verification" thing is but if I did then I'd happily turn it off for you!

      It's such a yummy recipe, but as I said, you don't have to use haloumi, try choritzo or even just bacon/ham.

      I'll have a look at your recipe in a sec too :)

      Delete