Thursday 24 September 2015

Healthy Mac 'n Cheese

I used to complain that my eldest boy, Ewan is a really fussy eater but I have recently realised that he has nothing on his little brother. Kai is currently giving me some serious mealtime grief.

Thankfully I'm a bit "whatever" about whether they eat or not compared to what I once was. I make the food and if they don't eat it, it's their loss. That said, I still try really hard to make simple, yummy and nutritious meals that they won't refuse.

One of these said meals I recently discovered on the IQS (I Quit Sugar) website. It's a recipe for nutritious "Mac 'n Cheese". I tweaked it to my liking (and the ingredients that I have in the cupboard) so here's a link to the original recipe and below is my version:


Ingredients:

1 Carrot
1 Small sweet potato
1/2 - 1 cup cauliflower and broccoli florets
1 Zucchini (if you have one - I don't always include it)
1 Hand-full of cashews
3/4 Cup chicken or veggie stock/bone broth
1/4 - 1/2 Cup Tasty and parmesan cheese combo
1 - 2 Tbs Butter
1 Egg
250g Pasta

Method:

1 - Boil a pot of water, cut up your veggies and steam them until soft
2 - In a food processor, put all the ingredients and blitz until really smooth
3 - Cook your pasta until it's soft and then stir through your pasta sauce

Note: This isn't a big recipe. It would make approx 4 kiddie meals or two adult. I'd double the recipe if it was for the whole family just to be sure.

It surprises me how creamy this sauce turns out given that it is far from the traditional béchamel sauce that usually goes in a Mac 'n cheese meal. My kiddies eat it with gusto and the big kids (Roge and I) enjoy it thoroughly too. In fact, it's one of my favourite meals at the moment. PLUS it doesn't take long to whip up which is a winner in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment