Sunday 2 August 2015

Mmmmm, Lemon Cordial

If you have a lemon tree, well lucky you! This time of year, you're probably living with an abundance of the lovely sour delights.

I don't have a lemon tree (yet, it's on my wish list) but I do usually manage to scrounge a few. When I do, I make sure I've frozen some of the juice into ice cubes for times when I may not have a fresh lemon. I also grate the rind and freeze it for the same purpose. 

Additionally, last year I discovered how to make lemon cordial and it was a hit with my hubby who hasn't purchased a store bought cordial since. The recipe is by a favourite of mine, Sally Wise from her book A Year in A Bottle which has been a bit of a preserving bible for me!



Ingredients:

1.5kg sugar
1 tbs citric acid
zest and juice of 8 medium lemons (or 6 large lemons)
4 cups of boiling water

1 - Place ingredients into a pot and bring to the boil, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Turn heat off once sugar has dissolved and leave overnight.
2 - Strain cordial through a sieve to remove the pulp and pour into sterilised bottles. Seal the bottles. Enjoy!

Yes this recipe has a lot of sugar in it but if you're someone who likes to drink cordial (like my hubby) then you might as well drink one that has no added preservatives in it. As a bonus, it's a good additive to a cup of hot water when you have a sore throat or need a bit of a help with digestion but mainly it's just plain delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment