Friday 22 May 2015

Artichoke Soup - Not As Funky As You'd Imagine

Last Autumn I discovered jerusalem artichokes at a local veggie shop. I'd never really had much to do with them but they were cheap so I figured I'd get some and work out what to do with them afterwards. Using Google, I discovered that they are commonly made into mash (like potatoes) but also make a good soup. They don't look particularly interesting so I wasn't expecting anything overly amazing.

The outcome was unexpectedly delicious. 

I was at the same veggie shop a few days ago and again, jerusalem artichokes were on special for only $3 per kilo! I grabbed a stack and hurried home to hopefully recreate the previous years soup. I wasn't disappointed.

Artichoke Soup:

Ingredients:

1 brown onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
400g approx. of jerusalem artichokes
50g butter or butter and olive oil combo
800ml of veggie or chicken stock
1/3 cup cream
salt and pepper
*1 tsp fresh thyme is optional

1 - Scrub your artichokes really well and cut off any knobbly bits. Chop into rough slices. Dice onion and peel garlic.
2 - Melt butter in a pot and then add onion, garlic and artichokes (and thyme if you're using it). Sauté them all together for about 15 minutes until the artichokes are softening and starting to caramelise on the base of the pot a bit (this adds lovely taste).
3 - Add stock and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Puree with a stick mixer (or similar). Turn the heat off and stir through the cream, salt and pepper to taste.
4 - Serve with toast. Enjoy!

As I was buying the artichokes, the check-out-chick asked me what I planned to do with them as she'd had some the night before which she'd mashed. She described the experience as similar to eating smelly socks (clearly not a fan!). I gave her a run down on what I do and I think I might have convinced her to go back and try again. I hope so anyhow, it really is a yummy soup.

If you're a local then the veggie shop in Mowbray called Tassie Farm Fresh has jerusalem artichokes cheap at $3 a kilo. Compared to Youngs veggie shed who are charging $29 a kilo that's a bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment