Friday 19 September 2014

Asparagus Growing

Lately I've been all consumed with creating my new vegetable garden. Our back yard already had an established veggie patch and fruit trees (to a degree) however in recent years it was neglected and pretty much resembled a jungle.

"The Jungle" pre me getting stuck into it.
Over the last few months, I've been clearing and rearranging what was already in the yard. Roge has built me some giant veggie beds and I've been sprouting seeds as well as collecting cuttings from all my friends and family to fill it.

One of the most exciting plants I've introduced is a row of asparagus.



Asparagus is notoriously fussy to grow but once established, almost impossible to kill. It required me to dig a trench and within that, make a hill for each asparagus crown to sit on with it's long "tentacle" roots draped down each side.

I had to add sand for good drainage and cover it all with a good layer of cow manure and thick straw.

My "inspector" gave me the tick of approval

It will be 2-3 years before I'm allowed to pick any of the asparagus shoots as it needs that long to establish a good root system. It's going to be hard to resist but ever so satisfying once that day comes.


Much to my delight, two months later I've found my first asparagus sprout and I'm super chuffed. Only two more years and I'll be eating these delightful stems breakfast, lunch and tea. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment