Monday 18 August 2014

Roasted Onion and Garlic with Potato Soup

Even though the days have been awfully sunny (for Winter) here in Tassie, I'm still churning out soup like it's going out of fashion. I love the stuff!

I often don't have leeks and I find them too expensive to buy a couple just to make a batch of potato and leek soup which is one of my favourites. SO, I have invented a variation which I think I'm just as in love with. It's roasted onion and garlic with potatoes.


Ingredients:

3 medium sized potatoes
2 onions
1 bulb garlic
50g butter
800ml good quality vegetable or chicken stock
A dollop of cream
Salt and pepper to taste

1 - Turn on the oven to 180 degrees. Skin and quarter your onions, drizzle a little oil over them and put them on a roasting tray. Wrap your bulb of garlic in aluminium foil and add this to the roasting tray. Roast for 20-30 minutes until the onion is soft and starting to get a little brown on the edges.

2 - In a saucepan on the stove, melt the butter and add your roasted onions, squeeze out the roasted garlic from their pods and peel/chop some potatoes. I love dutch cream but any soft kind of potato will do. Stir all of that in the butter for 10 minutes or so before adding the stock. Cook until the potato is soft.

3 - Using a blender, blend the soup until it's pureed and creamy. Add a dollop of cream and season with salt and pepper.



This soup is super rich and yummy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment