Thursday 1 May 2014

What's Happening At My House - A New Fire

An oil heater was a pretty common appliance in the 60's. Our retro house had one too, built into the old sandstone fireplace. Who knows if it still worked, I was too scared to turn it on just in case the house blew up!


Recently Roge took out the old heater and we found a lovely open fireplace. We deliberated if we'd keep it that way but in the end, we decided to purchase an inbuilt wood fire to go into the old cavity (safer for the children, a little less dirty and the ability to control the wood burn were all factors which brought us to that decision).


The new fire looks stunning and it burns beautifully. 


I've lit it a few times lately on the yucky rainy days and it's purred along like a kitten. I think it's safe to say I'm a little bit in love. You can't beat the aesthetic of a good fire and I do like something to park my rear up to on a cold day. This winter, we're going to be cosy warm.


Our cat, Gus has a new favourite place so lay now and I can't say I blame him, it's my favourite place too at the moment!

1 comment:

  1. That does look cozy! We have had ours installed since Friday and my goodness I think I might be a bit in love with ours too! What a difference. I'm no longer shuffling around the house in my jacket and wool hat!

    And so glad to have tipped you off to the flour mill! What's funny is that it was another Canadian import who told me about it a few months ago! You never know what you might find in your own backyard!

    Hope you are enjoying this gorgeous autumn weather!

    ReplyDelete