Sunday, 3 February 2013

Maybe The Daggiest Post I've Done

The other day when I had my little sewing stint, I also made a new ironing board cover! Yes, daggy and you're probably asking why I'm even mentioning it but I have to admit, I think it's kinda cool.

My old cover kicked the bucket a while ago. It was the original cheap cover on my K-Mart ironing board and it had stains and burns all over. The final straw however was the elasticity failed and the cover slipped off every time I ironed and it was ANNOYING!

I had an old calico curtain that was sitting around waiting to be re-invented and it was perfect for this job. I used the old ironing board cover as a template, tracing around it onto the new calico fabric.

I cut around the template, and that gave me a ironing board shaped piece of fabric ready to be turned into an actual ironing board cover.

I cheated a bit with the next step because I didn't want to spend a lot of time on this project...I don't iron enough to justify it! I overlocked all the edges and then using a wool needle, I threaded a strong piece of butchers string through the overlocked edge (if you don't have an overlocker, you could probably achieve the same result by zig zag stitching the edges).

I then sewed a small left over scrap of fabric onto the new cover to add a bit of interest before placing the new cover onto the ironing board and pulling the string tight. It did the trick and tightened over the board so the cover doesn't slip off. Tie the string tightly underneath the board and hey presto, one new ironing board cover.

Much nicer than the old yellow generic cover and the best didn't cost me a thing (except for time and even then, it took about half an hour). Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment