Wednesday 5 November 2014

Home Made Laundry Powder

I've been on a mission to change all my household cleaners over to eco friendly/kid friendly as well as hopefully saving a dollar or two in the process. Whilst the dishwasher powder hasn't rocked my world, this laundry powder has been excellent.

Home Made Laundry Powder:

1 bar of pure soap (I used Velvet soap found in the laundry isle - 4 bars for approx $4)
1 cup laundry soda (I used Lectric, also found in the laundry isle - 1kg for approx $4)
1/2 cup Borax (found with the cleaning products - $500g for approx $4.50)

1 - Grate the bar of soap fine. I found using a food processor to be the easiest way to do this.
2 - Mix all the ingredients and put into a airtight jar
3 - Add a scoop (2 tbs approx) to your washing machine each medium size load of washing

EXTRA NOTE: I used the above basic recipe which is totally satisfactory however I chose to add 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup bicarbonate soda because the salt helps the fabric hold it's colour a bit better and the bicarb as a cleaning/deodorising agent.

As a bit of a demo on how well this works I'll show you a before and after:

Kai, doing what he does best (making work for his Mumma...oh and having a good time)!

This was the result using only the laundry powder on a standard wash cycle. Pretty good I think for clothes that I didn't soak or use a pre treatment with.

Certainly a worth while experiment which is going to continue at our house. Also a bucket load cheaper than bought powders and the bonus is that it's minus the chemicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment