Sunday 30 March 2014

A Healthier Banana Bread

It always bemused me that Banana Bread was called "bread" when in fact, it is just cake. Keen to find a healthier option for using my old bananas (and something a little less full of sugar and fat), I've been trolling the internet. Today I tried a new recipe for a healthy banana bread and I'm happy to report that it resembles bread more so than cake.


The recipe:

2 Cups Wholemeal SR flour
1/2 Cup Almond Meal
1 Tsp Cinnamon
4 Overripe Bananas Mashed
2 Eggs
1/3 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1/3 Cup Sultanas

1 - Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
2 - Heat oven to 180 Degrees Celsius
3 - Put Cake into a greased and oven-paper lined tin. I used two loaf tins (and grease on top of the paper too because this recipe doesn't contain any oil so the bread will stick if you don't grease well).
Cook for approx. 30 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean)


We ate ours warm from the oven and it was lovely. Much less like cake and more like bread. If you can't do without the fat, it would be lovely with a good spread of butter too. Ewan loved it and I felt a lot less guilty giving it to him than I would a piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment