Wednesday, 30 January 2013

A Little Sewing For A New baby

Lately, I haven't been terribly motivated to do any sewing. I don't know if it's because I've been doing lots of other things with my time or if it's because I haven't had anything in particular that I've wanted to sew. However last night after an unsuccessful retail shopping trip to Hobart to try to find a few new bits and pieces for the new baby, I was looking at one of my favourite online stores, On the site there was a plethora of really really nice hand made bibs and burp cloths, exactly what I wanted in fact...but not at the price I wanted to pay!

At over $10 each plus postage, I figured for the amount of burp cloths I'd need, I'd be spending at least $100-$150. With that in mind, I decided that it was time to pull out the sewing machine and make my own. I have lots of material which I've collected for "that rainy day project" and this was it.

I dug out some old cloth nappies that I had used with Ewan as burp cloths (best and most useful thing I bought I think, they cleaned up a million spills and spews). I'm still going to be using them with the second baby but this time they will look a bit prettier! I cut them all into rectangles at 26cm by 46cm.

I did the same with some pretty fabric and then sewed both the towelling and fabric together. I double stitched them for extra strength as I know that they will get a big work out.

So far I've done six lovely new burp cloths. I think I'll need double that but that's a project for another day. I've also run out of cute scraps of material so I get to go to Spotlight and find some more before I get "round two" started. I love kids fabrics!

Best of all, I haven't spent a cent making this bunch as it was fabric and towelling that I already had. If I have had made them from scratch and bought the fabric, I estimate they would have cost about $3 each. That's a lot better than $10+ each or $60 if you look at the fact I've made six. Sure I lost 3 hours out of my day but I enjoyed it and Ewan loved playing with all the cotton and material scraps. My floor does look like it's been snowing inside (from all the towelling scraps) but thats nothing that can't be fixed with a quick vacume. I'm also motivated to get sewing again, as todays fun has inspired some other projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment